Monday, July 7, 2008

Patriotism


So this past weekend was the 4th of July, and I'm sure everyone enjoyed taking in the smells of the neighborhood Bar-B-Q's and parades, topped off with the night skies (and neighbors yards) being lit up by hundreds of fireworks. Add to that the fact that many of you probably had a three day weekend and it makes for a great holiday! I love the patriotic holidays, I really do, maybe its because of spending time in the military, I don't know; but I always wonder why our patriotism seems to be secluded into one or two days a year. Why don't we show it all the time? Over the weekend I read many stories and blogs about the founding fathers and other patriots through the course of our countries history, and I'm hard-pressed to imagine them as being "holiday patriots." But I guess patriotism like other things is on a cycle of sorts...available at our disposal when we need it. Maybe I'm the only one frustrated by that, I don't know.

As I was thinking about the change in patriotism in this country over the years, I got to thinking about other things that have changed. And I ran across several blogs on the usual 4th of July banter, talking about whether or not America was founded by Christians, or as a Christian nation. I read many interesting blogs and stories about the founding fathers and the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Now, while you always have to take things you read on the internet with a grain of salt, and realize that most bloggers and authors have thier own agendas to fill, I searched out some of the things that were said and found some interesting truths. Many of the founding fathers and early leaders of this country were strong men of faith, and believed that what they were doing was prompted by and endorsed by God. Not only that, but there were many quotes from them concerning the relationship between God and government, and most of which came to the same conclusion: that God is and always will be a part of government, and that a nation that tries to throw Him out of it is doomed to fail. That is my own summation of a quote from John Jay, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and the first Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court. (see below for full quote). It just seems to me that we have lost touch with our "roots" so to speak. That we've gotten out of step with what this country was meant to be.

Anyway, I suppose I should step down off of my soap box before I make too long of a rant on here. Just thought I'd share some of what I found in my reading this weekend. I hope everyone had a great 4th! While yes, we all enjoy the BBQ's and fireworks, and extra days off from work, I hope that we keep in mind the sacrifices that have been made, and that are continuing to be made, so that we can enjoy the life we live in this great country! Here's some quotes I found, I hope you enjoy them:

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams
(To the Officers of the First Brigade of the 3rd Division of the Massachusetts Militia, October 11, 1789. Adams Papers, Microfilm, reel 119 Library of Congress.)
“Whoever shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.” – Benjamin Franklin
(Burton Stevenson, The Home Book of Quotations – Classical & Modern (New York: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1967), p.265.)
“No human society has ever been able to maintain both order and freedom, both cohesiveness and liberty apart from the moral precepts of the Christian Religion applied and accepted by all the classes. Should our Republic ever forget this fundamental precept of governance, men are certain to shed their responsibilities for licentiousness and this great experiment will then surely be doomed.” – John Jay
(Address to the American Bible Society, May 9, 1822, in The Correspondence and Public Papers of John Jay, Vol. 4, p.484.)
“It is the duty of every man to render to the Creator such homage . . . Before any man can be considered a member of Civil Society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe.” – James Madison
(James Madison, A Memorial and Remonstrance (Washington DC: Library of Congress, Rare Book Collection, delivered to the General Assembly of the State of Virginia. 1785).)
“True religion affords to Government its surest support.” – George Washington
(To the synod of the Reformed Dutch Church of North America, October 1789, Washington Papers, Library of Congress.)

“Religion and Morality are the essential pillars of Civil society.” – George Washington
(Letter to the Clergy of Different Denominations Residing in the near the City of Philadelphia, March 3, 1797.)
“From the day of the Declaration . . . they (the American people) were bound by the laws of God, which they all, and by the laws of the Gospel, which they nearly all, acknowledged as the rules of their conduct.” – John Quincy Adams
(John Wingate Thornton, The Pulpit of the American Revolution 1860 (New York: Burt Franklin, 1860, 1970), p.xxix.)

Quotes courtesy of Mark Beeson's blog.... www.markbeeson.com and other sites.

Also, look up Jeremiah 18:1-10...take a read

No comments: