
You know the songs I'm sure...and I'm sure you've sang them all before, like this one:
"My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing"
Or this one:
"O beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain..."
And many others like it, such as "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (Glory, Glory Hallelujah) and the Star Spangle Banner.
What strikes me about these songs is where they can be found (and where for many years was among the few places to find them), and that is the hymnals in the pews of churches across the country. For those who can't remember, a hymnal is that book in the rack in the pew next to Bible...it hardly ever gets opened anymore.
What I think is so strange about that is the fact that with faith being such a big thing in politics and news anymore we seem to have forgotten our political roots. (See previous blog). I'm not saying that you have to be a Christian to be an American, or to be considered a patriot. Not by any means! But what is frustrating is to listen to the "talking heads" on the tv babble on about how Christian values had no role in the founding of this country, or how faith should not play any part in how we select our leaders.
The verses I mentioned above, I'm sure most of you could catch on to the tune quickly and have it playing along in your head, but for most of us we are lost after the first verse. I admit I am just as guilty. But I wonder why that is? Have you ever read the other verses of these songs? While arguably some of these songs can lose their Christian undertones and values when only the first verse is song, it is undeniable in the latter verses! For example, here is the 4th verse of "My Country 'Tis of Thee":
"Our fathers' God, to Thee, author of liberty, to Thee we sing: Long may our and be bright, with freedom's holy light; protect us by Thy might, Great God our King!"
And have you ever heard the second stanza of the Star-Spangled Banner? I admit that I don't think I ever had. Here are the words:
"O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand between their loved homes and the war's desolation! Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land Praise the Power that hath made and preserves us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just; and this be our motto: 'In God is our trust!' And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave...O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"
(did you know that there is a question mark at the end of the Star-Spangle Banner? I didn't, lol)
Even our own national anthem cries out to the thanks that was given to God for the founding of this country. How can we now say that the founders of this country were not men of faith? That they had no intention of making a country built on the values and morals that have long been the mark of Christianity? Again, that's not to say that you have to be a Christian to be an American. But the founders were building a country on the principles of their faith!
I thought it was interesting to see what the other verses of these classic American Patriotic songs said. I hope you'll take a peek for yourselves. God Bless America!!
No comments:
Post a Comment