Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Creation Museum


So, this past Friday I played hookie from the office and accepted the offer from a student to go with him and his mom to the newly opened Creation Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio, run by the Answers in Genesis organization (www.answersingenesis.com). This blog will be my response to that trip, so if you're not interested in hearing about it, then you should probably stop reading now, lol.

Ok, the museum costs $19.95 per adult, which I have to admit I thought was a pretty steep price for a museum, but I also thought it'd be an interesting experience. They gave us a coupon when we got there, so it was a few bucks cheaper, but I would suggest that if you're going to go, go in a group and get whatever group discount they offer. Besides, that'll give you alot of people to talk about the exhibits with (I had a great time talking with Henry about them, but I know some people don't want to spend an entire day with just one person....for all I know Henry might've felt that way, lol.). Anyway...

It is very obvious from the moment you get on the grounds there that they are big dinosaur fans. And that theme stays consistent throughout the museum. They even have a dinosaur in the Garden of Eden....not sure yet what I think about that, but that's a whole different subject. They do have a pretty cool theater in the front of the museum that shows a movie about the debate between Evolution and Creation. I'll be honest, I thought they could've done a better job with it as far as my opinion goes, but I understand that they are targeting a wide audience and blah blah blah.....anyway, the film was pretty good, but I guess I was wanting more.

The biggest problem I had right away was that the way the museum is set up causes there to be alot of traffic jams and long lines. I guess this could be at least in part contributed to the fact that it only opened the doors in May (I think) and that there is still alot of excitement that has caused the heavy traffic, but I'm used to museums that are laid out more widely so that it accomodates the traffic a little better.

The exhibits were all well done, but again I was hit with the feeling of wanting more. I LOVE archaeology and that sort of stuff, and there have been some amazing archaeological finds that I think would've been a great addition to this museum. That being said, there really aren't any "artifacts" per say in the museum, so if you're looking for that, you will have the same feeling I had. Also, the general theme is about creation, but they have exhibits about several other parts of the Bible as well. Some of which they do a good job of relating to the creation account, others they could've done a better job of.

All in all, I think the museum is alright. I knew alot of the stuff they were presenting, and that was a bittersweet thing. On the one hand it left less for me to "discover" and learn (which are things that I want to do in a museum), but it also gave me insight into answers to questions I was asked throughout the day, so that was cool.

Here would be my suggestion/advice to anyone remotely interested in the museum....go see it. Don't be cheap, shell out the $20 and go see it for yourself. Whether you agree or disagree with the conclusions they've made, give yourself the opportunity to do so. Go with a learner's spirit, so that if there happens to be something you could learn there you're not closed off to the possibility. However, realize that they do not have archaeological finds displayed at the museum (at least not at this point), so don't go only looking for that.

I found myself disagreeing and/or questioning several of their conclusions, but I won't go into those in detail here. Just as an example...everything being vegetarian/herbivore before "the Fall".....not sure about that one. The relationship between the dinosaurs and Adam and Eve, etc. Just some of the things that created questions for me....but, afterall, isn't that the most fun part of learning?

If anyone goes, I'd be interested to hear your opinions of it!

No comments: