Thursday, July 5, 2007

God's fireworks show...


So yesterday was the Fourth of July (obviously, since today is the fifth...), which usually means big fireworks displays, tons of little American flags, BBQ's, and block parties. Ok, well at least fireworks anyways.

But rather than the usual man-made fireworks display that I get to see every year, I was treated to an incredible natural show that dwarfed the multi-colored flash displays that have become a holiday staple. I guess God had decided that he wanted to join in on the festivities. So I sat in the parking lot of the church for several minutes just watching the sky light up with awesome colors as the lightning shot from one end of the sky to the other.

Now I'm sure that there were many in Madison and the surrounding areas that were bummed out by the storm because it likely ruined (or at least post-poned) their backyard BBQ's and/or their fireworks, but it was an awesome show to see. And it reminded me that all too often we allow ourselves to be so caught up with creating our own shows, that sometimes we miss what God's trying to show us.

All of our fireworks and celebrating are, afterall, supposed to be in memory of the freedom that we have because of the bravery of others. Well, who gave us that freedom other that God? Yes, I know, there were many many many many...um, I think you get the point....soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who gave their lives for our freedom through the 200+ years of this country, and I am in no way trying to demean or belittle their sacrifice; but their sacrifice would have been in vain had not God allowed them victory. So who better to put on a sky lighting show than God himself to celebrate our freedom? I know the storm passed through eventually and many people broke out their stash of exploding colors, but the real light show was earlier in the day/evening when God gave us an awesome display throughout the sky. I only hope that more people were able to enjoy the show as much as I did.

No comments: